[FFmpeg-user] Reencoding from H.264 to H.265

Peter White peter.white at posteo.net
Mon Sep 5 02:55:05 EEST 2016

05.09.2016 00:58, Sven C. Dack:
> On 04/09/16 22:52, Peter White wrote:
>> So you showed that they have an effect. Acknowledged. My question had
>> a follow-up, though. Your conclusions are not correct. The best scaler
>> is the one producing the best visual quality *before* compression. ...
>
> I am glad you could see the effect after all.

LOL, never said otherwise. It was your conclusions and assumptions that
needed correcting, so people don't select a scaling algorithm for all
the wrong reasons.

> Which is the best scaler is a decision everyone must make on their own.

Yes, so long as it is based on image quality and not on what yields
whatever file size. The latter can always be adjusted at the encoding
stage. Scaling and encoding are not related, you know.

> I am happy to see you have made yours :)

Now, that does sound patronizing. :P

Peter