[FFmpeg-user] ffserver removal

Michael Fritscher michael.fritscher at telematik-zentrum.de
Tue Sep 13 13:36:39 EEST 2016

Good day,

I just read the sad news about ffserver :-(

The biggest problem for maintaining seems to be the usage of the
internal APIs, right? The other stated problems seem not to hinder
development of the other components of ffmpeg.

That are the big showstoppers here? The ffserver.c has
/* FIXME: those are internal headers, ffserver _really_ shouldn't use
them */

/* FIXME: This code should use avformat_new_stream() */

Are these 2 the biggest problems hindering ffserver from staying into
ffmpeg? Which of these headers are internal ones?

If somebody mentors me and give me hints of the direction I should take
for the problematic cases (use other API, other workarounds, make
internall API officially external, (temporally) duplicate code,
(temporally) remove functionality) I could give it a shot. I've no
experience with the ffmpeg style of coding (I know
http://ffmpeg.org/developer.html, it's rather the architecture, which
API is internal etc.), but I already made simple changes to ffserver.

Best regards,
Michael Fritscher

P.S. If there is any other afford to further maintain ffserver, fork it
etc. please tell me!

--
ZfT - Zentrum für Telematik e.V.
Michael Fritscher
Email: michael.fritscher at telematik-zentrum.de
Web: http://www.telematik-zentrum.de

Vorstand:
Prof. Dr. Klaus Schilling, Hans-Joachim Leistner
Sitz: Gerbrunn
USt.-ID Nr.: DE 257 244 580, Steuer-Nr.:  257/111/70203
Amtsgericht Würzburg, Vereinsregister-Nr.: VR 200 167