[FFmpeg-user] How to create a multichannel wav file without a specific channel layout

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.software
Mon Sep 26 14:10:51 EEST 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 12:42 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I would like to know if it is possible to create a wave file that
> contains
> > n channels of audio which do not have a channel layout like 5.1 or
> stereo,
>
> (I assumed n==1 here because it should work fine for n>2)
>
> > much like a file used in broadcast for just storing n signals in one wav
> > file.
>
> It works fine for >16bit or >48kHz.
> I just sent a patch that fixes it for all (pcm) audio, that will not fix
> the
> front center (mono) case though: If this is an issue (if your software
> does not default to front center for 1-channel pcm wav), please
> tell me;-)

Thanks for the quick reply! I meant something like writing a 4,6 or
8-channel wav that just really contains 4,6,8 mono channels. E.g. some
cameras or other multi-track recording devices generate signals like these
and I would like to be able to put them in one wav file for archiving or
later processing. Reading a bit through a few specs I am not sure whether
this requires using RF64 features (specifically the new constant
SPEAKER_ALL 0x80000000 for the channel assignment) and, to be honest, if
that makes sense at all.

Thanks,

Robert