[FFmpeg-user] re-encoding and transcode (codec copy) on same file.

YIRAN LI mrfun.china at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 01:15:51 EEST 2017

Hi guys,

I'm investigating if it's possible to do editing and transcode on same file.

I mean use -vcodec copy, we can readout packets and write them directly
into output file without re-encoding. But if it's possible, for example if
I have a 2 mins video, re-encode 1st min because there're some effects
applied to that region but copy 2nd part?

My concern is, for example we know H.264 has extradata, if I re-encode
first part but keep 2nd part, how if new extradata is different from old
extradta?

Anyone have suggestion on this? and any other possible problems doing this?

Thanks