[FFmpeg-user] Libraries missing?

Evert Vorster evorster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 12:26:57 EEST 2017

Hi there, Moritz.

I did read the entire thread, and I see that transcoding the file works for
her, but the solution seemed overly complex. Simply renaming the file seems
much simpler and less error prone.

This lady wants to edit the video in Kdenlive, and Kdenlive is able to edit
the video directly without a transcoding step.
The issue is that Kdenlive trusts the OS to pass the correct mimetype to it
for any file it tries to open.
So it does not open the .MOD file as a video, even when ignoring the
extentions. There does not seem to be a way around this.
Interestingly enough this would hint that I could use .MOD (the proper
ones) as backing audio for video. Changing the extention changes the
detected mimetipe in KDE. I doubt that this is something the the KDE devs
are going to change.

As I said, in her case the most simple thing to do would be to rename the
video to have a .mpg extention.

Then Kdenlive tries to open it as a video, and does the right thing from
then on. It even works when there is no extention to the file, as then it
uses the unix way and actually looks inside the file, but this does
introduce an extra step in the lady's workflow, as files with no extention
is not automatically detected as video files, and filtered out.
This course of action avoids the quality loss that comes with a transcode,
as well as the time element.

I agree that this is rather hackish, and completely off topic for an ffmpeg
thread, but it does solve the original poster's original problem.

Kind regards,
-Evert Vorster-

On 1 August 2017 at 08:57, Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 08:17:09 +0100, Evert Vorster wrote:
>
> > identifies a .MOD file as a MOD-TRACKER file, which I remember playing
> > around on with an 8086 somewhere in the 1990's.
> >
> > Using your file in the example , this works:
> >
> > ffplay -f mpeg -i MOV015.MOD
>
> Does anyone ever read the complete thread? Michelle reported that that
> was solved in this email:
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2017-July/036829.html
>
> > You may also be able to tell the operating system to interpret the .MOD
> > files as video files, but this involves tinkering with the insides of a
> > system that is best not tinkered with unless you want to learn some very
> > deep and very limited-use knowledge.
>
> Really? You can tell ffmpeg with "-f mpeg". Applications that trust
> file extensions and file extensions only are so ... Windows.
>
> Moritz

Evert Vorster
Isometrix Acquistion Superchief