[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg built static, yet "libopenjp2.so.7: cannot open shared object file"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Aug 13 13:59:24 EEST 2017

Am 13.08.2017 um 02:59 schrieb tlum:
> On 8/12/2017 8:28 PM, Reindl Harald [via FFmpeg-users] wrote:
>>
>> Am 13.08.2017 um 02:23 schrieb Ted Lum:
>>> I'm sure there is only one copy of all the executables. They are
>>> actually deployed to /root/bin so they're kept highly isolated from the
>>> rest of the system.
>>>
>>> So, we have:
>>>
>>> [root at san1srvp01 ~]# which ffmpeg
>>> /root/bin/ffmpeg
>>
>> jesus christ don't run *especially* codec software as root - that's what
>> /usr/local is for - let me guess - you fire also "make" as root?
>>
>> and since making /root readable for others is also a terrible idea
>> there's no business for /root/bin at all
>
> It's a build VM. I spin them up from and image, do what I've got to do,
> and then generally destroy them

that don't justify root as nothing justify root for non administrative
commands, frankly some software out there even refuses ./configure as
root for that reason

> It's also generally a terrible idea to
> install compilers and development libraries on production systems, hence
> the build environment.

yes, hence a proper build system is using something like "rpmbuild"
which always starts in a clean buildroot adn even don't need root
permission for "make install"

> Production deployment is a lot more controlled and standardized as you
> might expect
i strongly doubt that starting with that the environments are completly
different and the lack of a proper buildsystem is the root cause of the
thread topic "libopenjp2.so.7: cannot open shared object file"

rpmbuild would have generated proper dependencies to begin with

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ rpm -q ffmpeg-latest
ffmpeg-latest-3.3.3-1.fc25.20170730.rh.x86_64