[FFmpeg-user] -movflags faststart revisited

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 06:28:37 EET 2017

On Feb 25, 2017 9:35 PM, "JD" <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

I retried to use this flag as it was indicated in a previous response by a
user.
Sorry that I was unable to continue on the original thread, because the
gmail web
interface deletes original message sent to this list by the OP, when the OP
deletes the
response from the list.

So, even though I corrected the usage of the flag, I am still unable to
play the output
file before ffmpeg finishes the transcoding :( :(

As I wrote earlier, that will not work. Ever.

You can't play an mp4 file of the file does not contain an moov atom. That
atom cannot be written until the encoder is finished, because it contains
info that cannot be determined until the encoder is finished encoding.

If you want to view the output before the file is closed, your best bet is
something like mpeg-ts, or flv. Or one of the segmented formats.

-Reuben