[FFmpeg-user] Slow HLS Stream Download FFmpeg

Gabriel Altabarani cat at ikitty.cat
Thu Jan 19 23:49:47 EET 2017

Using the following command:

Ffmpeg -i "URL" -c copy "video.ts"

I can successfully download a HLS stream from a .m3u8 link. However, the
problem that I am facing is extremely slow download speeds. When using
Streamlink <https://streamlink.github.io/>  I can download any stream at
least three times faster than FFmpeg. In Streamlink there is an option,
"--hls-segment-threads <count>", to specify the size of the thread pool used
to download HLS segments. The result is an increased download speed. My
question is, is there something equivalent in FFmpeg or something that I can
do to utilize my full connection speed?