[FFmpeg-user] Need help generating field based Program Stream

Bouke (VideoToolShed) bouke at videotoolshed.com
Tue Jan 24 13:34:53 EET 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "kumar vikram" <vikramforu at gmail.com>

> Hello All,
> I am having a Program stream which has progressive sequence. I want to
> convert this stream to Field based PS files.
>
> I have used the following command
>
> ffmpeg.exe -y -i INPUT -c:v mpeg2video -flags +ildct+ilme -vf yadif=1 -top
> 1 -b:a 256k -aspect 16:9 OUTPUT
>
> But this is creating Frame based interlaced stream.
>
> Looks like I have missed some options. Can you please help me fix this
> problem?

Hi Vikram,
What do you expect? If the source is progressive, an interlaced output will
have two fields taken at the same time, thus still look progressive.
If the framerate does not change, besides doing this for being compatible
with streams that must be interlaced, there is no reason to do so.
If you do want to change the framerate (eg from 50p to 25i, or add
pulldown), there is logic. Have a look at the Tinterlace filter.
hth,
Bouke

> Regards,
> Vikram