[FFmpeg-user] man ffmpeg absent

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Jul 18 18:50:37 EEST 2017

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 15:13:40 +0000, Phil Rhodes wrote:
> I can't quite believe that I'm a published writer, being lectured on use of my native language by a non-native speaker.

Haha, exactly!

> You guys really are a fucking joke, you know that.

Now, that's an insult. To comedy as well.

Reindl Harald wrote:
> it's insulting that you think developers doing software development as
> day job don't do the same - in my world "professional" says something
> about quality and software design and "amateur" is a script kiddie
> writing throw away code

That's in the world of interpreting something into a term. By
definition, even in my professional (d'uh) world, "professional" means
doing something as a profession. "Amateur" means not so, or more
correctly, as already pointed out, for the love of it. If I do
programming in my spare time and without earning money with it, it'll
always be as an amateur, even if I do it "in a professional fashion".

To participate in the Olymic Games, you used to have to be an
"amateur", and where not allowed to be a "professional", by the way.
And they didn't mean wanna-be vs. quality.

BTW, "are at least amateur software engineers or enthusiasts" may have
been meant as an insult, and apparently taken as it by some of you, but
I read quite the opposite. I thought it to mean "most are at a quite
good - or better - level of software engineering, and therefore expect
you to understand that compiling is easy".

Enough of the English language. What was the original issue again? Ah,
man pages. Plenty of solutions offered already. What was wrong with
macports or homebrew now?

:-P