[FFmpeg-user] 2 pass CBR or VBR not really fixing the bitrate?

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Mon Jul 31 11:39:21 EEST 2017

Le duodi 12 thermidor, an CCXXV, Manuel Tiglio a écrit :
> If you want to stream and build ladders you want to control the peak
> bitrate, not just the average. That’s the point that I was trying to
> convey.

Not exactly. Clients have a limited buffering ability, and what you need
to control is the average bitrate over the duration of the buffer.

And two-pass encoding is not meant for that. Two-pass encoding is meant
to optimize the bitrate globally, for when you want to fit a movie on
exactly 2×700 mega-octets so you can burn it on a pair of CD-R.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George