[FFmpeg-user] multiple instances of segmenter

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Jun 12 17:03:27 EEST 2017

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 09:22:17 -0400, Joe Konecny wrote:
> I'm calling ffmpeg from crontab and using the segmenter.  Two instances
> of ffmpeg are running at once.  One of the instances uses the segmenter
> properly the other creates one large file.

> 0 6     * * *   root    timeout 5h ffmpeg -i

Sorry for being a bit blunt, but who in their right mind would execute
an arbitrary command as user "root"?

> "http://192.168.1.230/videostream.cgi?user=admin&pwd=blah&resolution=32&rate=0"
> "http://192.168.1.8/videostream.cgi?user=admin&pwd=blah&resolution=32&rate=0"

Hmm, I can't reproduce. Could it be that your second stream avoids
creating keyframes, or does it much less often than the first stream?
The segmenter doesn't cut until it encounters the next keyframe.

For us to understand the issue better, it may be necessary to update
your ffmpeg to latest git master (or at least 3.3.2), and to include
the full, uncut console output of the misbehaving command. (If you
can't redirect to a file from crontab, use the "-report" option, but
check for the size of the file first before posting here - it implies
an increased loglevel unless you set options using the environment
variable FFREPORT. Also, if your two ffmpegs launch simultaneously from
crontab, their report log file names will clash unless changed by such
an option.)

Moritz