[FFmpeg-user] Seeking for a method to remove sections of a video

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 19:22:52 EEST 2017

On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 15:30:36 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> My problem is finding out the cut points.

I do all this on linux with ffmpeg, and I found the absolute
best way to get the cut points in units that are bound to be
correct is to use ffmpeg to transcode the original video
and add time codes to it. Then I can watch that video in
mplayer and use pause and singlestep to sneak up on the
precise time code I want, and type it into the input file
I use to do the cutting. See this example of the script
I use:

http://tomhorsley.com/game/ffmpeg.html#generatetimestamps

No doubt it would be more effective to hack ffplay to be
able to single step (and even save up 100 or so frames
so it can step backward) and write the timestamps directly
to a file without me having to copy them from the screen,
but that would require a lot more ambition than I have :-).