[FFmpeg-user] Desktop Capture 'Jerky'

derekg dhopley2000 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 15:22:51 EET 2017

Dear Carl Eugen ,

I have two (2) different PCs and for the TEST process I have
successfully followed with your help on my older machine
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu , and with the
addition of '--enable libasound' in the compilation stage . An ffmpeg
capture process successfully captures both video and sound , however
unsurprisingly on the older machine it is a little jerky . I've used
ffmpeg -f alsa -f pulse -ac 2 -i default -f x11grab -s 1920x1080 -r 60
-i :0.0 -qscale 0 -f mpeg -ar 48000 -s wvga -y /media/sda5/sample.mkv to
run this , but could you advise a little both on changes I might make
firstly to achieve a less jerky one pass capture , and maybe on the
appropriate two stages to create a lossless *.mkv . Obviously I want to
become a little more competent before transferring to my 'live' TV PC .
Thank you , from 'newbie/novice' ,

Derek