[FFmpeg-user] Convert Audio Track To Numbers and Back

Bouke / VideoToolShed bouke at videotoolshed.com
Mon Mar 13 12:49:07 EET 2017

On 07 Mar 2017, at 03:43, Michele Monteferrante <m.montefer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry,
> I was not clear. What I want is a function of time, a graph.
> x: time in seconds
> Y: amplitude in whatever format
> This file must be a simple text file which,for example, I can plot with
> Gnuplot and edit whit vim.
> Ciao
> Michele

Not sure if FFmpeg can do this, but if you hire a coder he’ll be done in no time.
If the sound is uncompressed, it’s nothing more of finding the start of the actual sound data, and read the numbers.
Creating a sound file from numbers (uncompressed) is pretty easy too. (Although it’s your task to make it sound like ‘something’ .:-)

Now, since you want to do math on it, and you have already a nice format to store a couple of numbers (being X the position in the file, Y the value of the bits), why not stick to that as a file format as input? (And to plot, any half decent audio editor can plot a sound file…)

hth
Bouke