[FFmpeg-user] Query regarding mkvtimestamp_v2 filter

Gyan gyandoshi at gmail.com
Mon May 15 15:43:18 EEST 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 5:44 PM, tarun singhal <tsinghal18 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I need help in understanding what does  mkvtimestamp_v2 filter do.
> I tried to search documentation around it but couldnt find. All I could
> find was this command
> *ffmpeg -i usopen.mp4 -f mkvtimestamp_v2 -qscale:v 0 a.txt*
>
> which apparently seems to give out timestamp of each frame in the video.
>
> Can you please help?
> What other options are available with formatting of this filter output.

mkvtimestamp_v2 is a muxer, not a filter. Running     ffmpeg -h
muxer=mkvtimestamp_v2    will show you its options, which are  ...  none.
It doesn't have any.

As you've seen, it writes out the PTS of each video frame, using a timebase
of 1/1000, to a text file.  So, any source timestamp with finer
granularity, will be rounded.