[FFmpeg-user] Is it possible to use ffmpeg as a rtmp downloader like rtmpdump?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri May 19 14:21:35 EEST 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 13:20:36 +0300, Xu Pu Ti wrote:
> A simple 'ffmpeg -i rtmp://url -c copy -f flv -' is not expected, since ffmpeg
> cares too much about the actual content of the stream and will complain about
> bad flv tags and ignore tags it doesn't understand.

Does it? I don't understand your issue, but it is correct, ffmpeg will
always at least demux the incoming container, and cannot retain its
original format. That's what other tools are better at ("mplayer
-dumpstream" also comes to mind, assuming it supports RTMP).

> Is it possible to make ffmpeg just download from rtmp and save it as
> a flv file and do not inspect what it contains?

If you're not going to use ffmpeg for anything special, why not use
rtmpdump?

Moritz