[FFmpeg-user] Capture Audio only from an Output Device?

Jan Petersen smoke.d.jp at gmail.com
Wed May 24 15:07:50 EEST 2017

Hey everyone

I am playing with ffmpeg currently and I wonder if there is any way to
capture a particular output from a given output device (preferably WASAPI)
and stream it to another machine.

Background:

A software running at Windows is playing multiple signals to a specified
output. Program 1 is played at Out 1, program 2 at Out 2 ... up to 64
programs when a MADI soundcard is involved, in theory unlimited with a
virtual adapter.

Can I use ffmpeg to capture these outputs and stream it in PCM wave to a
Linux box for further processing? Or can ffmpeg only capture imputs?

Basically I try to find a possibility to have AoIP from a Windows machine
to a Linux box, preferably with only virtual soundcards involved. The
ultimate goal is, to have the playout, the streams and the further
processing virtualized.

Maybe other ideas? I tried GStreamer also, but the DirectSound/WASAPI
implementation is really not good. In ffmpeg at least DSound is usable.

There is no WASAPI implementation at all, is that true? Or is there
something available?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jan