[FFmpeg-user] LATM demuxer

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 01:50:54 EET 2017

> Sometime this year I thought I saw mention of ffmpeg and a
> LATM standalone demuxer.

I committed it six years ago.
(The technical name of the file format is "loas", "latm" is one
of the things you can put into loas.)

Your question was possibly: "Why does fdk not decode latm?"
The answer is related to a decision FFmpeg developers made
long ago (they knew it wasn't a very good idea), not
implementing a bitstream filter that converts latm to aac and
allowing to decode the result with any aac decoder but
instead implementing an assigned latm decoder that cannot
be replaced so easily.

Carl Eugen

PS: Concerning "clean-up": Instead of fixing issues like the
above, known for nearly a decade, for example configure
was changed so that on some systems, building takes
(literally!) hours instead of minutes now.