[FFmpeg-user] LATM demuxer

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 23:17:08 EET 2017

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>> Sometime this year I thought I saw mention of ffmpeg and a
>> LATM standalone demuxer.
>
> I committed it six years ago.
> (The technical name of the file format is "loas", "latm" is one
> of the things you can put into loas.)
>
> Your question was possibly: "Why does fdk not decode latm?"
> The answer is related to a decision FFmpeg developers made
> long ago (they knew it wasn't a very good idea), not
> implementing a bitstream filter that converts latm to aac and
> allowing to decode the result with any aac decoder but
> instead implementing an assigned latm decoder that cannot
> be replaced so easily.

OK, thanks for the info.
FWIW I eventually found the "mention of ffmpeg and LATM" that I referred to.
It was in a devel mail suggesting some possible gsoc 2017 qualification
tasks, one of which was a -bsf for LATM.
I guess it wasn't actually used/taken.

> Carl Eugen
>
> PS: Concerning "clean-up": Instead of fixing issues like the
> above, known for nearly a decade, for example configure
> was changed so that on some systems, building takes
> (literally!) hours instead of minutes now.

Oh, nasty, it always did/does seem a bit long, but then not seeing
stuff scrolling past may make the wait seem longer.