[FFmpeg-user] Random repetitions in output

Mikael Persson mikael.persson at liu.se
Sun Nov 5 22:14:26 EET 2017

Ill update and continue from there, however it is still not clear from
documentation:

Regarding: -vsync vfr
>From the doc: Frames are passed through with their timestamp or dropped so
as to prevent 2 frames from having the same timestamp.

This would ensure no repetitions, but does not guarantee that no frames are
lost. I want both to be ensured.

Further does -vsync have any effect at all if no output framerate is
specified?

Perhaps the following is interesting ?
-frame_drop_threshold parameter
Frame drop threshold, which specifies how much behind video frames can be
before they are dropped. In frame rate units, so 1.0 is one frame. The
default is -1.1. One possible usecase is to avoid framedrops in case of
noisy timestamps or to increase frame drop precision in case of exact
timestamps.

Unfortunately it does not state what the default means nor the option to
instruct it to have a truly infinite waiting period. I'm guessing thats
what a negative value means, anyone know for sure?

I cannot believe that there is no way to tell ffmpeg to extract all frames
without repetition or dropping, shouldnt that be the default, and the
behaviour I see a bug?