[FFmpeg-user] Windows 10, ffmpeg concat/demux is slow... part 2

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Mon Nov 13 21:23:28 EET 2017

On 2017-11-13 17:34, Rob Hallam wrote:
> On 13 November 2017 at 15:56, Kevin Duffey <> wrote:
>
>> What sort of speeds should I see when concatting two DNxHR SQ 4K videos together?
>
> That depends on the underlying hardware. Apologies
> if I missed it, but it's still unclear to me if you are able
> to achieve an 'expected' speed with an OS-level copy
> (or something else independent of ffmpeg) on the
> hardware you listed.

I concur; lets forget ffmpeg and work with plain big file copy or
concat. The speed has to be almost the maximum disk speed. Lower if
source and destination share the same file (about half).

> I am surprised at the disk usage, but I don't know if
> that figure represents total IO, read operations (ie
> the source files) or write operations (the output).
>
> In the case of concat, my understanding is that
> the 'fps' should (will?) depend on how fast ffmpeg
> can read and write from/to the media. Others who
> are more experienced can correct if that's incorrect.

If Kevin can share two reasonable sized sample files, I can try the
ffmpeg operation in my computer. Using Linux, though.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.