[FFmpeg-user] MXF AS-07 Guidlines

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Thu Nov 23 03:33:17 EET 2017

> On Nov 21, 2017, at 6:28 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I was curious about any current or future plans to accept and
>> integrate the new AS-07 standard for MXF Archive and
>> Preservation.
>
> Patch welcome!
> If you have a sample that would also be very welcome!

Samples are available at http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/guidelines/MXF_sampleFiles/as07_sample2-gf-jpeg2000-3.1.mxf.zip.

AFAIK there is no plan to integrate all of AS-07 (though as Carl noted: patches welcome), but there are some related issues in trac, such as http://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/1102.

To examine more comprehensively the differences between the AS07 sample and the most similar output from FFmpeg (either from FFmpeg alone or via remuxing the AS-07 sample), I made some diffs of the MediaTrace reports of these files and uploaded notes and results to https://github.com/dericed/ffmpeg-v-as07. For example, this patch annotates the differences between the AS07 sample and ffmpeg’s remuxing of that file: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dericed/ffmpeg-v-as07/master/remuxed_v_as07.patch (it also includes a lot of diff-mess from arbitrary changes in ordering MXF components between the two inputs). Also I’m uncertain what differences are significant to AS-07, the specification would have to be studied to determine what changes or features would be necessary to create an AS-07 compliant output from FFmpeg. To make a future plan to accept or integrate AS-07, I suggest someone would have to research to determine what presently is the difference between AS-07’s expectations and FFmpeg’s existing MXF output, then file clear tickets for the differences at a granular level, and then address those tickets; MXF expertise, an AS-07 validator, and more samples would probably be helpful. Not saying this to volunteer myself, but just to give an idea of possible steps.

Best Regards,

Dave Rice