[FFmpeg-user] Splicing together videos with different characteristics

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 19:11:48 EET 2017

> I have a series of videos of my daughter giving piano recitals over the
> years. The videos start when she was very little, playing with a single
> finger, till now, that she can play the piano with high proficiency. I
> would like to splice them together into a single video.

We call it concatenation.

> The problem is that the first few videos were obtained with an older
> camcorder, that could do 640x480 resolution, whereas the later ones were
> captured with a newer camcorder, able to do 1920x1080 resolution.

> At some point I used a combination of HandBrake and ffmpeg to splice
> them together

(We only support FFmpeg here)

Command line and complete, uncut console output missing.

You can do it in two encodings, first upscaling the smaller videos
to hd1080 and encoding them with very high quality, then doing
the concatentation.

The easier way is using this filterchain and the concat demuxer:
-vf scale=w=-1:h=1080,pad=1920:1080:960-iw/2
This can reduce quality loss.

Carl Eugen