[FFmpeg-user] SDL2 over x11: “SDL: could not set video mode - exiting”

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Nov 28 19:47:13 EET 2017

Hi Jeff,

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 18:57:08 -0500, Jeff wrote:
> When I try to run a SDL2 application (e.g., ffplay) over X11 via SSH and
> Exceed, I receive the following error: “*SDL: could not set video mode -
> exiting*”.

I do remember this problem - I often use tools via X11 over SSH - but I
cannot reproduce.

Please show us the command line and the complete, uncut console output
of your ffmpeg command.

> Is there something I’m missing?

This problem should have been fixed with this commit:
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/28d87899e33f2fca524c25fac62b3ffa1488391e

which has been included in ffmpeg/ffplay since about one year, and in
releases since version 3.3.

I presume you are using an old version of ffmpeg and letting us try to
solve problems for you which have long been eliminated. ;-) Please try
a recent version of ffmpeg, preferably latest git master. (Binaries are
available, if you need something to quickly test.)

Moritz