[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg Hall of Shame

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Nov 29 16:54:39 EET 2017

Am 29.11.2017 um 15:06 schrieb drwho:
> On 2017-11-29 08:58 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 29.11.2017 um 14:47 schrieb Thirumalaisamy K:
>>> I know the difference between GPL and LGPL. But, in both you have to
>>> disclose the sources including controlling scripts.
>>>
>>> Just clear question whether it's required to release the control scripts
>>> when one release a binary made from LGPL code?
>>
>> please quote me the part of GPL which says i need to provide a bash
>> script which *calls* configure, set some params, install
>> build-requires and *not links* and line of code
> I don't think the "script which *calls* configure" is necessary, but
> please be aware....
>
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#InstInfo
>
> GPLv3 explicitly requires redistribution to include the full necessary
> “Installation Information.” GPLv2 doesn't use that term, but it does
> require redistribution to include "scripts used to control compilation
> and installation of the executable" with the complete and corresponding
> source code. This covers part, but not all, of what GPLv3 calls
> “Installation Information.” Thus, GPLv3's requirement about installation
> information is stronger

besides that if you annoy them enough they just stop provide binaries
and say "figure out how to build ffmpeg at your own jerk" the paragraph
below is plain nonsense

and even if they provide you every single line you won't get a identical
binary and "There is no guarantee that the releaser hasn't modified the
sources" sounds like the next step of the OP would be like offend them
with "you have modified the sources because my binary is not identical"
because of his cluelessnes

a reproducable build is much more then fire up a script

https://reproducible-builds.org/
https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/About

I agree that I can just dump the config parameters from the binary
itself using -buildconf. But, it doesn't mean that I can just reproduce
the same binary with the script