[FFmpeg-user] feature proposal - avoid overwriting the input file

Gyan Doshi gyandoshi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 07:52:52 EEST 2017

On 10/11/2017 5:40 AM, Lou wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 03:40 PM, Mikhail V wrote:
>> So, it would be nice if ffmpeg compare the output path with all input
>> paths
>> and exit with an error.
>
> This is ticket #4655.
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4655

Occasionally, a user does this deliberately, when they're trying to just
add or alter some tags. Dedicated tag editors, in general, don't create
a new file. So, we've had a few users who inadvertently destroyed their
input. Implementing this will avoid those cases.

This is useful, independently of whether -y was applied. An exemption
can be made for streaming input/outputs.