[FFmpeg-user] feature proposal - avoid overwriting the input file

Douglas Marsh ffmpeg at dx9s.net
Wed Oct 11 18:39:06 EEST 2017

On 2017-10-10 18:18, Mikhail V wrote:
> James Girotti wrote:
> Sure, I am. But anybody can miss the typo, and its not so easy to
> notice in console or text editor, its just two chars
> in a pile of chars.

Perhaps then add a new switch.. something *like*

$ ffmpeg -i input.mp4 [...] -yo output.mov

(for "Yes Output/Overwrite" where the parameter that MUST come next is
the filename)

and the following example would NOT work:

$ ffmpeg -yo -i input/mp4 [...] output.mov

as -yo has no parameter [the filename to overwrite] and assuming
"output.mov" exist so it would not overwrite without prompt. The order
shouldn't overly matter as the following COULD work:

$ ffmpeg -yo output.mov -i input.mp4 [...]

Just an idea.

--Doug (dx9s)