[FFmpeg-user] Tips on compressing videos created by GoPro

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 01:28:15 EEST 2017

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Andrey Goreev <aegoreev at gmail.com> wrote:

>> ffmpeg -i [INPUT-FILE]  -y -f mp4 -c:a libfdk_aac -b:a 192k -c:v libx264
>> -crf 23 -preset slow -map_metadata 0 [OUTPUT-FILE]
>>

> On a side note: I think the internal ffmpeg aac encoder might as good
> if not better now than libfsk_aac

I don't think this is correct, at least nobody has provided any
proof for such a claim.
(Very credible claim for the opposite exists.)

Maybe you are mixing up libfdk and libfaac?

[...]

>> FFmpeg:
>> "No pixel format specified, yuvj420p for H.264 encoding chosen.
>> Use -pix_fmt yuv420p for compatibility with outdated media players.  "

Just to clarify (Kieran's explanation is correct):
Some ("outdated") players will simply ignore that your file is
full scale and will show it with incorrect colours.

Note that the warning does not appear with current FFmpeg,
but the facts remain.

Carl Eugen