[FFmpeg-user] How can I recode the movie in a way that I can step forward frame by frame?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Oct 21 16:02:40 EEST 2017

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 13:38:02 +0200, LaHu wrote:
> I have a recording of a satellite feed. I want to convert it to full
> frames so I can step through the movie frame by frame. How would I do
> that using ffmpeg? Thanks for helping!

Several players are capable of stepping frame by frame. Certainly
mplayer, likely its derivates such as mpv, and also VLC can do that
IIRC. What were you considering using for viewing frame by frame?

I also don't understand what you mean by "convert it to full frames".
You can't mean to deinterlace, your material doesn't seem to be
interlaced? Do you mean "single pictures", i.e. a separate image file
for each frame? If so, check the image2 muxer, or just use:

$ ffmpeg -i input out%06d.jpg

Cheers,
Moritz