[FFmpeg-user] Read ffmpeg segment on stdout

Alberto Esposito alberto.websci at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 02:55:49 EET 2017

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to segment a video file to play it in the browser. Ideally, I
would like to read the stdout and pipe it to the browser, but if I enable
segmentation it doesn't work:

$ ffmpeg -i test.mp4 -f segment -segment_format mp4 -segment_format_options
movflags=+faststart+frag_keyframe+empty_moov+default_base_moof pipe:1
Output #0, segment, to 'pipe:1':
Output file #0 does not contain any stream

1) Can segmented files be written to stdout? Is there a special character
for file separation?

2) Otherwise, how can I detect a new keyframe just by reading the byte
stream?

thank you guys :)