[FFmpeg-user] flac format

PaulYurt paulyurt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 15:54:14 EEST 2017

Paul Yurt // Media Technologist // 310-439-8009

On Sep 1, 2017, at 4:55 AM, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi to all ffmpeg users.

In order to backup store my audio CDs, I collect them into wav files using
icedax, because I read that wav format is lossless.  Now, I've just read that
also flac format would be, with the advantage of occupying much less memory
space than wav.  As far as you listers know, is that true?  If so, what should
the magic formula be to losslessly convert wav to flac and viceversa...?

Rodolfo,
CD audio is encoded 16 bit WAV. If you do a clean read of the CD data to computer files, you will have very close to a copy of the original audio WAV file (plus error corrections).

If you convert the WAV to an other format you will have an approximation of the original data with the limitations of the codec of choice. FLAC claims to be lossless and offering about 50% storage savings.

Storage is inexpensive why change the format and lose the original?