[FFmpeg-user] 4k conversion with hevc

Josh Blagden jfblagden at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 14:29:27 EEST 2018

I don’t see why not. An MP4 file is most likely to contain an MPEG-4 video stream, so it’ll be fine; it’ll take a while depending on your hardware, but it can be done. Well, as long as we’re not talking about DRM-protected videos from iTunes.

By the way, MP4 and MKV are just containers. HEVC, MPEG-2, MPEG-3, and VC-1 are codecs. Codecs go inside containers.  I actually just found out about that distinction about six months ago.

Josh Blagden