[FFmpeg-user] Help with metadata writing (mp4)... what's possible?

Karen Norton nortok00 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 20:40:08 EET 2018

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:30 PM Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm hoping someone can help with understanding writing metadata to files
> > using ffmpeg. The type of metadata I'm referencing is information such as
>
> > movie/song title, artist, album, author, genre, show, etc.
>
> Command line and complete, uncut console output missing.
> (Works fine by default here.)
>
> Carl Eugen

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the speedy reply. As mentioned in my email my questions aren't
about getting it to work. I can write the metadata just fine (ex: my most
recent one was ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -metadata media_type="10" -metadata
show="Law & Order" -metadata season_number="1" -metadata
title="Prescription For Death" -metadata episode_id="66209" -metadata
episode_sort="1" -metadata:s:a:0 language=eng -c:v libx264 -c:a aac
output.mp4). This writes fine and gives me the results I expect.

My questions are about finding the full scope of keys that can be written
with ffmpeg because the sites I reference give varying sets of keys. I
would like to find a comprehensive list of keys for all files in general
(video and audio) but for mp4 in particular. I would also like to know
about writing custom tags/keys. Is this possible for mp4 in general but
more importantly mp4 with ffmpeg. :-D

Thanks.

Karen