[FFmpeg-user] Question about using Webm/Matroska container in audio transconding

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 17:07:17 EET 2018

> On 11/12/18 18:41, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>>
>>> just curious why it then works with ogg container and not in webm.

The formats are different, you need to seek back to write the
matroska duration, see line 2591 (and 2638 in the same block) in
current libavformat/matroskaenc.c, this is not a limitation of FFmpeg.

>> I am not convinced it works, would need console output.
>
> Please see attached listing of console session - console_output.txt -
> file with ogg container does have duration, file with webm does not (as
> can be seen in ffprobe listing), but both are created through pipe.

The ogg format apparently allows for this feature, note that the
format has so many issues that it cannot be seriously recommended.

Carl Eugen