[FFmpeg-user] Robustness on processing transport streams (TS)?

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 21:29:20 EET 2018

> how robust and precise especially regarding a/v sync is ffmpeg when
> processing transport streams (*.ts) files from TV recordings?

I have seen many samples that can be transcoded in-sync with FFmpeg.

> Some programs (e.g. Avidemux on Linux) have problems (crash)

If you have an input file that crashes FFmpeg, please share it!

> with some *.ts files I have, and I thought it maybe is a good idea
> to first convert my input to a "raw" file with:
>
> ffmpeg -i input.ts -map 0:v:0 -c:v huffyuv -map 0:a -c:a pcm_s16le
> -sn temp.mkv

I would assume that this makes possible problems with A/V sync
immutable. Always use the original input file for transcoding.

A long time back, there was ProjectX to fix transport streams, I
believe there is another program now (suggested by the HandBrake
user support) but I forgot its name.

To "insert silence", FFmpeg needs the "-async 1" option or the
corresponding filter chain.

Carl Eugen