[FFmpeg-user] help please

Steve Boyer steveboyer85 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 20:47:37 EET 2018

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 4:02 AM, sarkis yol <sarkis_yol1 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> hey what is the best way to hardcore subtitles into a movie while staying
> as close as possible to his original size and settings i tried this command:
> ffmpeg -i 1.mp4 -vf "subtitles=1.srt:force_style='FontName=Droid Naskh
> Shift Alt,Fontsize=21'" -c:a copy "output.mp4"
>

> but my 770mb movie goes to 1.3gb which is too much
>
> Upside to FFmpeg, if you don't tell it specifics, then it fills in gaps
for you based on container (here, it's MP4). Downside, if you don't tell it
specifics, then it fills in the gaps for you. By default (someone correct
me if wrong), it is doing -crf 23 -preset standard (I believe). Couple of
things to experiment with:

Setting bitrate itself ( -b <bitrate_in_bits_per_second>k)
Setting a lower CRF (-crf 24, -crf 25, -crf 26 - A higher number is a lower
quality and about every 6 digits is about half quality/size)
Setting a max bitrate in combination of a different CRF value (-crf <rate>
-maxrate <bitrate_in_bits_per_second>k)
specificing a different preset ("-preset veryfast" I've found seems to be
the best fast/size trade-off, but your mileage may vary).

What medium are you trying to watch the output on? Can the player not
display subtitles? I know Kodi and VLC have no problem with this.