[FFmpeg-user] Is there an input or output file-size limit that FFmpeg can handle ?

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 16:00:30 EET 2018

> On 2/12/2018 11:47 AM, Shyam Sundar wrote:
>
>> Can you please share if you have any data on it OR the size of the largest
>> video you have ever tried with FFmpeg ?
>
>  Output filesize limit is the max value of UINT64 i.e. 17179869183 GB.

While this is (at least approximately) true for 64bit, I don't think it is
true for all builds.

> Actual limit subject to filesystem limit as well.

This is definitely true.

Some formats do not support arbitrary file sizes, for some implementations,
bugs regarding very large files were found in the past, reports welcome!

(An example for such a limitation are jpeg2000 images > 4G iirc.)

Carl Eugen