[FFmpeg-user] Unable to compile with libx264

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Jan 4 11:15:57 EET 2018

On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 18:41:08 -0800, Chao-Chin Yang wrote:

> I am trying to compile ffmpeg from source with libx264.  Because I
> don’t have any super-user privileges, I am building it under my home.

Even if you have superuser priviliges, you should build (and execute)
as a regular user. Only for installation should you ever use those
priviliges. (And you don't even need to "install", normally.)

> The problem was that the variable x264_bit_depth is undefined.  I tried to look for this variable in any possible headers, especially x264_config.h and x264.h generated by the x264 installation, but nothing exists.
> Am I missing something in all this process?

Yes. You should get the latest git master source of ffmpeg, not a
release or something too old. As far as I can tell, this issue was
fixed in the last few days/weeks.

If you can't check out the source from git, grab the snapshot
("Download Snapshot" link) from https://ffmpeg.org/download.html .

Cheers,
Moritz