[FFmpeg-user] image2 examples missing `-f image2`, can that be right?

Gyan Doshi gyandoshi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 10:48:38 EET 2018

On 1/7/2018 12:38 PM, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:

> Those examples lack a `-f image2` option. I would expect that option to
> be there; after all, isn't the image2 format exactly what this section
> is trying to explain?

FFmpeg probes the input to determine its format. Adding the `-f` option
for an input forces the use of that demuxer e.g.

with a MKV renamed to MP4, running

     ffmpeg -i in.mp4

will still result in FFmpeg recognizing it as a Matroska file.

but

     ffmpeg -f mp4 -i in.mp4

will force the MP4 demuxer, and FFmpeg will throw an error.

Regards,
Gyan