[FFmpeg-user] image2 examples missing `-f image2`, can that be right?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Jan 7 21:05:24 EET 2018

On Sun, Jan 07, 2018 at 10:16:55 -0800, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
> And the term "demuxer" may be complicating things. The documentation for
> `image2` describes it as a "demuxer"[1]. But elsewhere, I think the
> FFmpeg documentation describes the operation of extracting multiple
> still frames from a video as "demuxing"[2][4], and the complementary
> operation of merging multiple still frames files into a video as
> "muxing"[3]. I'm not sure what to make of that.

No. A demuxer decomposes an input (file, stream, container, or in this
case a pile of files) into one or several streams. A muxer does the
opposite.

> Maybe `image2` should actually be described as a "muxer"?

Not in the case you are implying. OTOH, there is also an "image2"
muxer, which creates a pile of images from a stream.

> section/, which examples illustrating the use of the `-f image2` option,
> is it really correct that the examples do not include `-f image2`?

Honestly, when debugging stuff and in doubt, just try it first. ;-)

Moritz