[FFmpeg-user] partial file restore from tape

Swami Kevala swami.kevala at ishafoundation.org
Mon Jan 8 05:03:56 EET 2018

Hi,

We write large HD video files (MXF) to LTO tape. We want to develop a
solution where we can restore a subclip alone from the tape. (This is
commonly referred to as PFR - partial file restore)

I understand the -ss and -t options can be used to cut out a subclip - but
this is only when the entire file is on disk.

Using our tape software we can restore a certain subsection of the file
(based on a byte offset, and byte length). I want to know if we can use
ffmpeg to convert this into a playable file.

I'm guessing we would need some kind of metadata from the original file. So
the kind of thing I'm looking for is a command that will let me copy this
metadata from the file, before I write it to tape (which I would store on
the local disk). I would then want another command which would let me take
this metadata + any extracted byte-stream as inputs and produce a playable
subclip file as output.

Kind Regards

Swami Kevala

contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this
message and any attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted
via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. The Organisation accepts no liability for any
damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.ishafoundation.org