[FFmpeg-user] stream hls from ffmpeg via media-server to TV

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Jan 11 16:55:55 EET 2018

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 14:44:11 +0100, Thomas Schmiedl wrote:
> xupnpd2 doesn't support https,

Wow. Welcome to the 21st century.

> so my idea is to receive the hls-stream in ffmpeg.

Should work.

> ffmpeg -i https://hddn01.skylinewebcams.com/live.m3u8?a=<variable-string> -c copy -f mpeg -listen 1 http://<private-ip>:1234
[...]
> The stream is displayed on PC (vlc-player) without problems, but the TV
> doesn't display it.

VLC is very tolerant in terms of what it accepts (partly thanks to
libavformat and libavcodec, but also their own implementations). But
what you are sending with "-f mpeg" is an MPEG Program Stream (as meant
for files and e.g. for VOB files on DVDs). Most streaming receivers
won't accept this, but should instead be fine with the format MPEG
*Transport* Stream. Thus please use "-f mpegts" and it should work. :-)

Cheers,
Moritz