[FFmpeg-user] what x264 version to build ffmpeg 3.4.1?

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 01:36:40 EET 2018

> Well, x264 0.155.2893 works fine with the latest ffmpeg snapshot; I haven't
> done any extensive testing but it does compile correctly and ffmpeg works.

Thank you for confirming this!

> The problem here is that I needed to compile ffmpeg 3.4.1 and for this
> version x264 0.155.2893 definitively does NOT work ( error:
> 'x264_bit_depth' undeclared).

>From a quick look it appears that 3.4.1 was released before the relevant
commit was made to x264: I hope you agree that the behaviour you
describe is expected...

> Now, I just compiled ffmpeg 3.4.1 with x264 0.148.2744 an it did compile
> correctly (thanks Reindl!!!)

> Is there any place where I can find the x264 version needed for other
> versions of ffmpeg?? I will need to compile more ffmpeg versions (3.3,
> 3.2, 3.1, etc) and I will like to know which x264 version is best suited
> for each.

Apart from the fact that you should not care about old releases of
FFmpeg (they get even less care than 3.4): I believe the last
non-compatible change in x264 was a long time ago but please
report back.

Please do not top-post here, Carl Eugen