[FFmpeg-user] what x264 version to build ffmpeg 3.4.1?

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 03:51:20 EET 2018

> Am 14.01.2018 um 22:47 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:

>>> 0.155.2893 is currently not useable for ffmpeg
>>
>> This sounds unlikely
>
> ok, a fresh snaphot works

> but what do you expect when there is no repsonse

What do you mean with "no response"?

I asked you several times how I can reproduce a major
issue (only!) you see and that I cannot reproduce: Your
answers were not helpful!

> that it should now work in the other thread i started around christmas and
> that below is the last i heard? that i try every day a new snapshot?

> "config.log" is still not created at all, configure now only takes a long
> time without any output and whines in yellow color "WARNING: using libx264
> without pkg-config"

Another wild guess: Are you redirecting configure somewhere?

> you also did *not* confirm that you built a static x264 in a non-default
> directory

I told you that I believe I fixed this usecase but without your
config.log this was absolutely impossible for me to say for
sure, especially since different versions of FFmpeg produce
different issues (that were partly fixed).

> and used the exact same configures as i did

I told you a very long time ago (and after that repeatedly) that your
"exact" configure line is not supported here for several reasons.
(Mostly because several options you use make no sense, in a
more general sense one could also argue that --extra-cflags
are never supported except for paths. I hope you also understand
that the more external libraries you enable, the harder - and
often impossible - things get for me to reproduce, even more so
for cases of pkg-config abuse by FFmpeg.)

> by try to find out why
> config.log is missing and in that context your typical "scripts are not
> supported here" is hardly helpful

What do you mean with "hardly helpful"?
We (or if you prefer: I) cannot support a zillion of different build
scripts. We believe that the configure script we provide supports
all possible use-cases (although I currently consider it absolutely
broken but it will not help discussing this here) and I try to
support all kind of issues with it.
Which is exactly what I did for your request, only you neither
helped very much nor gave the necessary feed-back.

> frankly i even provided the exact fuile-list auf my x264-latest staic
> package and all other informations from 2017-12-25 to 2018-01-11

I believe I never asked you for this "other informations": As said,
on very different systems a config.log is created here the moment
I start the configure script with valid options.
Without config.log, I had to guess if the issue I see is the one
you see: I am happy that I - apparently - guessed correctly but I
believed I explained in the past that guessing is generally not a
good way of support.

Carl Eugen