[FFmpeg-user] compiler warnings current snapshot

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jan 15 04:28:42 EET 2018

Am 15.01.2018 um 03:24 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
>> in current snapshot there are tons of "arning: '__builtin___snprintf_chk'
>> output may be truncated before the last format character
>> [-Wformat-truncation=]" warnings
>
> Did you look at any of them?

did you or did you stop at the first one

> See also below.
>
>> In file included from src/libavutil/common.h:491:0,
>>                   from src/libavutil/avutil.h:296,
>>                   from src/libavutil/opt.h:31,
>>                   from src/libavcodec/alac.c:51:
>> src/libavcodec/alac.c: In function 'allocate_buffers':
>> src/libavutil/internal.h:142:9: warning: argument 1 value
>> '18446744073709551552' exceeds maximum object size 9223372036854775807
>> [-Walloc-size-larger-than=]
>>       p = av_malloc(size);\
>
> How can this happen?
>
> Compilers do not have less bugs than FFmpeg, and these warnings
> tend to be particularly buggy.
> (Yes, I prefer to spend my time on your mails than on the gcc
> bug tracker.)

well, my expierience over 15 years is that you can get rid of warnings
if only you want and the benefit of a clean build output is that you
face new ones which may point out recent regressions or even security
bugs while when you ignore them your whole life you clearly can't take
notice of new ones