[FFmpeg-user] Compressed audio streams (DTS, Dolby) decoding

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 19:15:56 EET 2018

> Le samedi 20 janvier 2018, Carl a écrit :
>
>> (Did you already ask this and I missed it?)
>
> No, I didn't, because I was not planning to do that. My
> initial goal was only to see if there were some obvious
> known differences between ffmpeg decoding and AV
> receiver chips decoding.

Given the decoder is approximately a decade old and
was used intensively since we of course hope there
are no audible bugs.

>> Download a current static Linux binary from
>> https://www.johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/
>
> There is already a ffmpeg binary. I guess it is better to
> use it first, as this is the one I run with Kodi.

This makes no sense as the version number you
posted does not exist in the FFmpeg repository.
(Except if you expect a Kodi issue.)

>> You have to find out how to output audio: You most
>> likely have an alsa output, the following works fine
>> here, other devices may exist:
>> $ ffmpeg -i yourfile -map 0:a -f alsa hw:0
>> If this fails, provide the complete, uncut console output.
>>
>> This is the command for another alsa device on my
>> system (so you get the possible syntax):
>> $ ffmpeg -i yourfile -map 0:a -f alsa hw:1,7
>
> They use pulseaudio, not alsa :o/

I wouldn't rule out that this is the issue (you should
definitely also test if alsa behaves differently) but
FFmpeg supports pulse output as well:

$ ffmpeg -i yourfile -map 0:a -f pulse default

Carl Eugen