[FFmpeg-user] ffplay output

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Jul 4 14:42:06 EEST 2018

Hi Mohammed,

On Wed, Jul 04, 2018 at 11:00:55 +0200, Mohammed Bey Ahmed Khernache wrote:
> could someone explain to me the *ffplay* outputs?
> Given a video of 3288 frames. Decoding it with ffplay gives the output
> below:
> fd=742
> aq=0KB
> vq=0KB
> sq=0B
> f=0/0

Which can actually be something like this:
   3.23 A-V: -0.018 fd=   0 aq=   11KB vq=   17KB sq=    0B f=0/0

The ffplay docs say:
    Print several playback statistics, in particular show the stream
    duration, the codec parameters, the current position in the stream
    and the audio/video synchronisation drift.

Looking at the source code, it is:
- the playback duration so far ("3.23")
- the timestamp drift between audio and video (if it says "A-V" -
  otherwise the drift between audio or video and master clock)
  ("A-V: -0.018")
- number of frames dropped ("fd=   0")
- the audio, video and subtitle queue sizes ("aq=   11KB", ...)
- the number of incorrect DTS/PTS values so far ("f=0/0")

Hope this helps,
Moritz