[FFmpeg-user] Color matching to source a problem for ProRes

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 16:38:15 EEST 2018

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 13:48 Pete Willis, <pete at flatgrey.com> wrote:

> We are trying to match the output colour to the source content but
> although the output formats matches the source we cannot get it to match.
>
> Screenshot attached of the 3 outputs plus the original (top right) we have
> tested with media info for each:

I don't see any screenshots. It is best to copy paste the full, uncut
terminal output including your actual commands.

> Using these settings:
>

> flags=lanczos,colormatrix=bt601:bt709 [v] -acodec pcm_s24le -b:a 128k
> -b:v 512k -vcodec prores_ks -r 23.976023976023978 -f mov -profile:v 3
> -qscale 4 -pix_fmt yuv422p -y -map [v] -map [a] -timecode 00:59:53:00
> /videos/C1234_100_12HD_TestRaw.mov

Can you post the full commands you used?  This would tell us which version
of ffmpeg you are using as well.
You could try adding the `-movflags write_colr` option as it appears that
FFmpeg might not be writing colr atoms without it.
You could also specify the -color_trc, -color_primaries and -colorspace
values to bt709.

Also yuv422p is 8-bit and is not supported by `prores_ks`. FFmpeg probably
autoselected yuv422p10le for you.
Also it looks like you're declaring 128k bitrate for uncompressed 24-bit
audio which is kinda weird. 512k bitrate for video which is also weird and
probably ignored by the prores encoder.

> We have also tried -pix_fmt yuv422p10le (number 4 in the image)
>
> Removing the flags=lanczos (Number 3)
>

> Below is the media info for each
>
> 1. (Top left) output
> Video
> ID                                       : 1
> Format                                   : ProRes
> Format version                           : Version 0
> Format profile                           : 422 HQ
> Codec ID                                 : apch
> Duration                                 : 37s 37ms
> Bit rate mode                            : Variable
> Bit rate                                 : 124 Mbps
> Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
> Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
> Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
> Frame rate mode                          : Constant
> Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) fps
> Color space                              : YUV
> Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
> Scan type                                : Progressive
> Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 2.485
> Stream size                              : 546 MiB (98%)
> Writing library                          : Lavc
> Language                                 : English
> Color primaries                          : BT.709
> Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
> Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
>

> 2. (Top right) source content
>
> ID                                       : 1
> Format                                   : ProRes
> Format version                           : Version 0
> Format profile                           : 422 HQ
> Codec ID                                 : apch
> Duration                                 : 37s 37ms
> Bit rate mode                            : Variable
> Bit rate                                 : 89.7 Mbps
> Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
> Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
> Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
> Frame rate mode                          : Constant
> Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) fps
> Color space                              : YUV
> Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
> Scan type                                : Progressive
> Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 1.805
> Stream size                              : 396 MiB (98%)
> Writing library                          : aut0
> Language                                 : English
> Encoded date                             : UTC 2017-04-26 17:06:27
> Tagged date                              : UTC 2017-04-26 17:06:27
> Color primaries                          : BT.709
> Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
> Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
> matrix_coefficients_Original             : BT.709

Btw this is mediainfo telling you that the _Original value is set at a
codec level.

Best,

Kieran.