[FFmpeg-user] Colour metadata not preserved when re-encoding ProRes/mov to FFV1/mkv

W M cinemaeos at outlook.com
Tue Jul 24 17:05:38 EEST 2018

Hi,

At the Irish Film Institute Film Archive, we are investigating the technicalities of normalising ProRes materials to FFV1, the major issue we've identified is that colour metadata "color primaries", "transfer characteristics", "matrix coefficients" are not carried over to the FFV1/mkv file.

We are aware that FFV1 currently does not support such colour metadata at codec level. However, mkv container should be able to handle them and they should be carried over from the mov container, since the colour metadata is present in both the ProRes codec and mov container.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Wen @ Irish Film Archive